Monday, March 16, 2015

The New Baby

I have a new baby. Well, not exactly new, since it came into being in 1951. It is my grandmother's 50th Anniversary model Singer sewing machine. It was well used for many years, first by my grandmother, then by my mother. I also did a lot of sewing on it myself when I was a teenager. 


I took it in to the shop and had the belt changed, the wiring replaced, and the machine tuned up. It runs like a top. My grandmother was a professional seamstress, and had all sorts of feet and attachments. The two bias binding feet are really impressive looking- I can 't wait to give them a test drive.


The instruction book is still in good shape, too.  


I repainted the cabinet, updated the knob on the drawer, and recovered the seat cushion.


I made room for it next to electronic Bernina #1. I smile every time I look at it, and plan to put many more miles on it.


The acquisition of this machine prompted me to update and make over the sewing room, but I'll save that for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment