Friday, October 19, 2012

Sewing Books

There are many good books out there on sewing, some general, and many more for niche areas. I love books and own many, so I thought I would comment on a few of them. The sewer's Bible of my collection is The Vogue Sewing Book.  I actually have two copies, an older one and an updated version. It covers just about everything from style and fabric choice to hems and seam finishes- plus everything in between. If you can only buy one book, get this one.

 I also own The Complete Step by Step Guide to Home Sewing. It covers curtains, cushions, pillow cases, tablecloths, lamp shades, kitchen items, furniture covers, and more. Heirloom Sewing for Today by Sandy Hunter is a beautiful book. It is not just eye candy, though.   It contains patterns and techniques for a nice variety of projects in the heirloom sewing style. 

I do a lot of historical costuming and have always loved tailoring, so it should be no surprise that I own The Victorian Tailor and The Tudor Tailor. I also own Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket.

What sewing books would you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment